Prepare (do before class)
- Hyperbolic tree demo from Prefuse
- Treemap and SunBurst local demos
- SequoiaView file visualizer by Technische Universiteit Eindhoven
- S. Card and D. Nation, “Degree-of-Interest Trees: A Component of an Attention-Reactive User Interface”, Proc. of AVI ’02, May 2002, pp. 231-245.
- J. Lamping and R. Rao, “The Hyperbolic Browser: A Focus + Context Technique for Visualizing Large Hierarchies”, Journal of Visual Languages and Computing, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 33-55, March 1996.
- Q.V. Nguyen and M.L. Huang, “Space-optimized tree: a connection + enclosure approach for the visualization of large hierarchies”,Information Visualization, Vol. 2, No. 1, March 2003, pp. 3-15.
- C. Plaisant, et al, “SpaceTree: Design Evolution of a Node Link Tree Browser”, Proc. of InfoVis ’02, Oct. 2002, pp. 57-64.
- G. Robertson, S. Card, and J. Mackinlay, “Information Visualization Using 3D Interactive Animation”, Communications of the ACM, vol. 36, no. 4, Apr. 1993, pp. 57-71.
- B. Johnson and B. Shneiderman, “Tree-maps: A Space Filling Approach to the Visualization of Hierarchical Information Structures”, Proc. of Vis ’91, Oct. 1991, pp. 284-291.
- B. Bederson, B. Shneiderman, and M. Wattenberg, Ordered and Quantum Treemaps: Making Effective Use of 2D Space to Display Hierarchies, ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol. 21, No. 4, Oct. 2002, pp. 833-854.
- D.M. Bruls, C. Huizing and J.J. van Wijk, “Squarified Treemaps”, Proceedings of EuroGraphics 2000, pp. 33-42.
- Q.V. Nguyen & M.L. Huang, “EncCon: an approach to constructing interactive visualization of large hierarchical data”, Information Visualization, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 1-21.
- J. Stasko and E. Zhang, “Focus+Context Display and Navigation Techniques for Enhancing Radial, Space-Filling Hierarchy Visualizations”, Proc. of InfoVis ’00, Oct. 2000, pp. 57-65.
- W. Wang, H. Wang, G. Dai, H. Wang, “Visualization of large hierarchical data by circle packing”, Proceedings of ACM CHI ’06, April 2006, pp. 517-520.
- Information Visualizer, Xerox PARC
- Hyperbolic Tree, Xerox PARC, CHI ’96
- 3D Hyperbolic graphs, Stanford, T. Munzner
- SpaceTree, Univ. of Maryland, HCIL ’02
- Treemaps, Maryland, 1992
- FundExplorer from Georgia Tech
- Sunburst from Georgia Tech
- Zoomology, InfoVis ’03, Georgia Tech
- Election 2016, from NY Times
- Map of the Market knockoff from finviz.com
- Dynamic layout algorithm comparison applet created by Martin Wattenberg and Ben Bederson
- Treemaps, Maryland HCIL
- Obama’s 2012 budget proposal, (in treemap), from NY Times
- 2012 presidential election, Macrofocus
- treevis.net from Hans-Jorg Schulz